Ever wondered what it would be like to own a piece of ancient history? Well, look no further than the captivating world of Pugio daggers. These Roman relics aren’t just weapons; they’re time capsules that transport you back to the days of gladiators, emperors, and epic battles. So, what’s the story behind these intriguing daggers, and where can you find a pugio dagger for sale?
What is a Pugio Dagger?
The pugio was a Roman dagger used as a sidearm, its exact purpose among soldiers remains unclear. It was commonly used for assassinations and suicides, notably in the assassination of Julius Caesar. This weapon developed from the daggers used by the Cantabrians of the Iberian Peninsula.
By the early 1st century, the pugio had a large blade with various types, including “leaf-shaped” and those with narrow parts near the shoulders. The tang was wide and flat, and the hilt featured decorative rivets. Sheaths came in three types, with intricate decorations, enamel, and inlaid materials.
Over time, changes like rod tangs and narrower blades occurred, and the hilt remained consistent with two layers of material sandwiching the tang, adorned with silver inlay. The pugio’s size ranged from 18 cm to 28 cm long and 5 cm or more in width.
Best Places to Find a Pugio Dagger for Sale
3rd Century Roman Pugio
- Authentic Design: Crafted after iconic pugios of 3rd-century Rome, this dagger features a traditional leaf-shaped point and ribbed spine on its steel blade, offering an authentic design.
- Functional and Secure Grip: The hilt is thoughtfully shaped with two knobs, ensuring a secure grip while maintaining the classic Roman pugio appearance.
- Complete Package: This 3rd Century Roman Pugio comes with a red and silver scabbard adorned with golden carrying rings, making it a fully functional and aesthetically pleasing piece.
Embossed Pugio Dagger
- Classic Roman Design: Modeled after a classic Roman dagger, the Embossed Pugio Dagger boasts an ornate and historically accurate appearance.
- High-Quality Materials: Crafted from unsharpened EN45 high carbon steel, this dagger features a full tang construction, ensuring durability and authenticity.
- Decorative Sheath: The dagger includes a metal scabbard with embossed brass decorations, making it a stunning addition to Roman ensembles or collections.
Titleburg Pugio Dagger
- Double-Edged Blade: The Titleburg Pugio Dagger boasts a functional double-edged blade made from EN45 high carbon steel, featuring curved edges that form a point.
- Riveted Hilt and Scabbard: This dagger is equipped with a riveted hilt for durability and comes with a wooden scabbard covered in red leather, adorned with brass fittings. It can be easily worn on a belt (belt not included).
- Historical Reenactment Ready: With an overall length of 14 inches, a blade length of 9 inches, and a weight of 12 ounces, this dagger is ideal for historical reenactments and Roman weapon collections.
Kult of Athena
Exeter Pugio Dagger
- Blade: The Exeter Pugio Dagger features an unsharpened blade made of high carbon steel, ensuring durability and authenticity.
- Grip: Its handle is crafted from layered horn and steel, securely riveted to a full tang for a comfortable and secure grip.
- Specifications: With an overall length of 14 inches, a 9-inch blade, and a weight of 14.2 oz, this pugio dagger is both functional and historically accurate.
- Blade Material: Crafted with high carbon steel, the Leeuwen Pugio Dagger features an unsharpened blade for safe handling.
- Authentic Design: This dagger faithfully reproduces the original Leeuwen Pugio, complete with a brass hilt adorned with carved horn slabs and strip-beading decoration.
- Companion Scabbard: The dagger comes with a matching brass scabbard featuring brass strip-beading adornment, adding to its historical accuracy and visual appeal.
Whether you’re an avid collector or just someone with a keen interest in history, the quest for a Pugio dagger is an opportunity to reach back in time and connect with a world where the Roman Empire ruled supreme. So, armed with this newfound knowledge, consider adding one of these relics to your collection, and let history come alive in your hands.