In the realm of historical weaponry, the arming sword stands as a timeless symbol of chivalry, valor, and the art of combat. With its balanced design and versatile applications, the arming sword continues to capture the imagination of enthusiasts, collectors, and martial artists alike.
If you’re in search of an arming sword for sale, you’ve embarked on a journey to own a piece of history and craftsmanship. This article guides you through the best places to acquire these exquisite blades, ensuring you find a worthy addition to your collection or a companion for your martial pursuits.
What is an Arming Sword?
The arming sword, also known as the knightly sword or knightly arming sword, is a distinctive European weapon that flourished during the European High Middle Ages. This sword is characterized by several key features:
- Straight, Double-Edged Blade: The arming sword features a straight and double-edged blade, allowing for versatile cutting and thrusting techniques. Its blade typically measures around 70 to 80 centimeters (28 to 31 inches) in length.
- Cruciform Hilt: One of the defining features is its cruciform, or cross-shaped, hilt. This hilt design provides a secure and balanced grip for the wielder, enhancing control during combat.
- High Medieval Origins: The arming sword evolved from the Viking sword of the 9th century, gradually developing during the Romanesque period (10th to 13th centuries). It saw widespread use during the High Middle Ages and remained an iconic weapon of this era.
- Transition to Sidearm: In the Late Medieval period (14th and 15th centuries), the arming sword transitioned into a sidearm, coexisting with the two-handed, heavier longswords. It was during this time that it gained the name “arming sword.”
- Estoc Variations: While most arming swords maintained their traditional blade properties, some 15th-century specimens took on the form of a specialized estoc. These estocs were designed for combat against heavily armored opponents.
The terminology surrounding these swords can be somewhat fluid, with period-specific terms like “knight’s sword” and “romanesque sword.” The term “arming sword” specifically referred to the estoc when used as a sidearm, but in modern usage, it may encompass any single-handed sword from the late medieval period.
Best Places to Find an Arming Sword for Sale
15th Century Arming Sword – Kult of Athena
Kult of Athena offers an extensive range of historical weaponry from various cultures and eras, all at competitive prices. With expert knowledge, quality assurance, and a commitment to customer satisfaction, it’s the top choice for purchasing arming swords and historical replicas.
- Historically Accurate Design: This sword is inspired by late 15th-century styles, making it suitable for knights, professional man-at-arms, or archers during the Hundred Years War.
- High Carbon Steel Blade: The blade is hand-forged from high carbon steel, ensuring durability and strength. It is carefully tempered for optimal performance.
- Solid Construction: The blade is securely fitted into the hilt, and both the crossguard and pommel are made of steel. The carved grip features wood with a tightly bound leather wrap for a secure hold.
- Companion Scabbard: The sword comes with a wood-core scabbard designed to protect the blade. It features a stitched leather wrap for added durability.
- Battle Ready: Classified as “Battle Ready,” this sword is crafted for practical use, whether for reenactments, historical displays, or collections.
Classic Medieval Sword – Medieval Collectibles
Medieval Collectibles, founded in 2003, is a trusted internet mail-order company known for its extensive range of high-quality medieval replicas. With over 37,000 products sourced from 200+ manufacturers worldwide, it’s one of the largest and oldest medieval retailers in the US. They offer battle-ready swords, functional armor, medieval clothing, shields, helmets, and more.
Their commitment to excellent customer service, diverse product selection, on-time delivery, competitive pricing, and multiple payment options make them a top choice for medieval enthusiasts. Whether for re-enactments, LARPing, or historical decor, Medieval Collectibles is a go-to destination.
- Historically Accurate Design: This sword is designed based on historical accuracy, following the Oakeshott Type X with a Type I pommel and Type VII crossguard.
- Effective Blade: The long and wide fuller on the blade makes it capable of delivering fast and shearing cuts, allowing it to cut through mail and padding worn during the period.
- Guard and Pommel: The long guard offers excellent protection, and the classic wheel pommel helps achieve a well-balanced sword.
- Versatile Usage: Suitable for various historical periods, making it ideal for re-enactment and collecting purposes.
- Durable Construction: Constructed with a full-length tang for added strength, and the grip features wood with leather wrapping for a comfortable hold. It comes with a scabbard for storage and transportation.
Etsy is a global marketplace known for its unique and creative goods. It connects buyers with one-of-a-kind items, from handcrafted pieces to vintage treasures, and even a custom arming sword for sale. Etsy empowers sellers, fosters human connection, and champions sustainability. Shoppers discover special, imaginative products while supporting artisans and small businesses worldwide. Every purchase creates a positive impact on people and the planet.
Custom Monogram Sword by KnivesRemembered – Etsy
- Durable Blade: Crafted from 440 Stainless Steel, ensuring long-lasting quality and sharpness.
- Precise Handling: Featuring a Partial Tang and an overall length of 23″, it offers excellent balance and control.
- Personalized Touch: Customizable with a monogram, making it a unique and meaningful gift or collectible.
Custom Monogram Sword by UmarsArtWork – Etsy
- Exceptional Craftsmanship: Crafted with precision and attention to detail, this sword offers an overall length of 40.5″ with a razor-sharpened 420 J2 stainless steel blade, ensuring superior quality.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The solid metal crossguard and pommel, antique metal finish, and genuine leather-wrapped grip not only enhance the sword’s durability but also add a touch of elegance and authenticity to its design.
- Ready for Display: With a scabbard for safe storage and a wood wall mount display included, this custom monogram sword is not just a functional weapon but also a beautiful piece of art suitable for showcasing in your home or office.
As the echoes of history reverberate through these modern times, the allure of the arming sword remains undiminished. Whether you seek an authentic piece to enrich your collection or a finely crafted blade for martial training, the options for acquiring an arming sword are both diverse and enriching.
As you venture into this realm, remember that each arming sword for sale carries with it the legacy of craftsmanship, the echoes of battles long past, and the promise of new adventures.